This visa allows students from overseas countries to study for a qualification in Australia. It covers anyone studying through school, in the VET pathway through TAFE and University Students. Applicants who are studying for Masters or PHD’s are also required to hold this visa. There is a further pathway to study English in the ELICOS sector.

All applicants are required to show that they have a Confirmation of Enrolment prior to lodging their visa application.


The applicant is required to show that they have been enrolled in an eligible course of study within Australia. The Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) is required to be lodged with the visa application. The pathway of study is determined by the facility in consultation with an Education Agent. Applicants are required to show that they meet health and character requirements and that they have sufficient funds available to meet their costs of living and course fees. The applicant is also required to show that they are a Genuine Temporary Entrant who has the intention to return to their home country on completion of the course. The applicant can lodge this application onshore or offshore provided they meet the visa requirements.

If a student wishes to remain after their visa is due to expire, they will be required to lodge a new Student visa. Finalisation of studies may make the applicant eligible to obtain a Subclass 485 visa provided they meet the requirements for that visa.

Family or a partner may be included in this visa application provided that minor children are under 18 at the time of the application. Family members are allowed to apply for a subsequent Entry visa if they are included as non migration family members at the time of the initial visa application.

Fees for the courses are set by the various schools and are not governed by immigration policy.


Applicants are allowed to travel in and out of Australia during the period of the visa and they are allowed to work while holding this visa for up to 40 hours per fortnight when school is in session. This is a temporary visa and can be granted to study for up to 5 years. The course that the applicant is enrolled in will determine the period of the visa. Primary school children are limited to a visa of 2 years only.